Skip to content
Welcome guest. | Register | Login | Add
About | Wiki | Legacy

Define freedom!

11 replies [Last post]
memenode's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Joined: 2004-07-12

What's your definition of freedom? How would you define the meaning of the word freedom and the freedom itself?

Do you miss certain freedoms that you would like or need to have? What are they? Define the best freedom YOU could have.

Let's have a nice discussion on what's freedom. And just to start let me quote this interesting "definition" i picked up from google:

Freedom is

Quote:

Being allowed to sing in my bath as loudly as will not interfere with my neighbour's right to sing a different tune in his."

Thank you

__________________

Daniel Memenode signature

User offline. Last seen 11 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2004-08-23
Re: Define freedom!

[d]Well, read my signature Wink .[/d]

Freedom means having a choice.

User offline. Last seen 14 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2004-07-18
Re: Define freedom!

In Malaysian Politics, Freedom is undefined.

For the opposition parities, freedom of thought is freedom of communication.

User offline. Last seen 15 years 1 week ago. Offline
Joined: 2004-12-07
Re: Define freedom!

Freedom is the ability to do as you please up to the point of impinging on another's freedom. But if we're not talking libertarian ideas, I'd say freedom can be boiled down to choice and ultimately self-direction.

In the FOSS context, Freedom is the ability to choose what I want and what I don't and be able to change what I want so it will do what I want and need.

User offline. Last seen 13 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2004-12-06
Re: Define freedom!

To me,

Freedom is having the choice to takes choice.

Deep : No matter where you live or what you believe, you always make choices about everything ; every little event counts : you may have the choice to download code or binary, to drink that brand or this brand of beer, you have to choice to talk or not talking to each person you encounter. When you decide to speak a sentence, you have the choice of every words you use for it. You make the choice to say "Hi" or "Hello" or several hundreds of other words as the first word of a conversation. That is basic choice. Freedom isn't about basic choice, as it would be meaningless to talk about it, because every one would be 'free'. The real freedom is actually something like : Are you going to take the default choice, like everyone, because it is meant to be that way; or are you going to build your own path. Are you going to say "Thanks" or "(absolutly nothing)" when someone gives you something? That is the second level of choice, and that one is freedom. You can get someone rid of his freedom like in some case like if you don't bow to a king, he may (and will probably) make you kill.

^^/ my 2 cents ..

Have a great day :-D

memenode's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Joined: 2004-07-12
Re: Define freedom!

Interesing WaterSoul.

Basically, freedom is exactly what you say: having the choice to take choices!

And life is a constant choosing, from the tiny little things to the life crossroads such as choosing a school, getting married etc.

And basically, denying any freedom is actually denying some form of choice and denying choice is denying the one to live a full life.

Thank you
Daniel

__________________

Daniel Memenode signature

Mister X's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-03-08
How to define freedom??

Define freedom, well, that's hard..

Some do like the thought of a simple truth and/or explanation, with this case it ain't.
Freedom is quite undefinable, it only can be explained by examples, it is something bigger than one person, it's a ideal for mankind.

In June I will open my website (www.undefinabletruth.com), where you all can discuss the freedom of speech and everything that is combined with it.

Well, kinda gnarly first post.

Wish you all the best,

X

memenode's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Joined: 2004-07-12
Hey Mister X, welcome. This

Hey Mister X, welcome. Smiling

This is an old thread, but rereading it I think the posters attempts to define freedom were quite right on. It's all of that, right to do what you want so long as it doesn't infringe another's right to do the same, the choice to make choices etc. And all of them come to one thing, an individual human being existing as what he or she really is or wants to be. Freedom is therefore, ultimately, self-government.

So I actually disagree that it is bigger than one person. That's the idea that repeatedly keeps leading to infringement of freedoms, looking beyond the core unit of every society; the individual.

__________________

Daniel Memenode signature

Mister X's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-03-08
RE
libervisco wrote:

Hey Mister X, welcome. Smiling

This is an old thread, but rereading it I think the posters attempts to define freedom were quite right on. It's all of that, right to do what you want so long as it doesn't infringe another's right to do the same, the choice to make choices etc. And all of them come to one thing, an individual human being existing as what he or she really is or wants to be. Freedom is therefore, ultimately, self-government.

So I actually disagree that it is bigger than one person. That's the idea that repeatedly keeps leading to infringement of freedoms, looking beyond the core unit of every society; the individual.

Good day sire,

Well, here's another example of freedom, the freedom to express yourself to others without having to second guess.

My previous post proves already that freedom IS bigger than one person because, because if it were, we would all think the same, freedom is created by many.
But what you've really been reading are perspectives, a wonderful example of different interpretations of freedom is the difference between the freedom of the modern western countries and the freedom of the middle east, although some/we think they aren't living in so-called freedom, they think they are.

I'm glade that the topic is kept alive by people like you, people should be often remembered these days what they forgot.

Futher I must say, I admire your free voice, I would like to bid you welcome in June on my website to discuss this and other subjects even further.

Thank you,

X

P.S. Maybe you’ve noticed it, I ain’t English so forgive my grammar.

memenode's picture
User offline. Last seen 10 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Joined: 2004-07-12
re: define freedom
Mister X wrote:

Good day sire,

You too. Smiling

Mister X wrote:

Well, here's another example of freedom, the freedom to express yourself to others without having to second guess.

Yes, but I see that as a natural extension of self-government. If you as an individual can do anything without fear the above mentioned freedom is just one of those things. Smiling Here is the definition of freedom that I subscribe to: http://define-freedom.com/

Mister X wrote:

My previous post proves already that freedom IS bigger than one person because, because if it were, we would all think the same, freedom is created by many.

But there are many one person's. Focusing on an individual rather than a collective is what leads to admission of diversity between us. Not every individual is the same.

Mister X wrote:

But what you've really been reading are perspectives, a wonderful example of different interpretations of freedom is the difference between the freedom of the modern western countries and the freedom of the middle east, although some/we think they aren't living in so-called freedom, they think they are.

Countries can't have freedom, people can, but the thing you're referring to are various degrees to which people realize are free or not. A person who is born and lives in prison and never knew a world outside would think he's free, but does that truly make him free? He indeed thinks he is free and in a sense then he is, but from the perspective of everyone of us who are clearly freer than he is, it is obvious that he is in fact not experiencing freedom, but slavery in ignorance. Also a good example of that is The Matrix.

Mister X wrote:

I'm glade that the topic is kept alive by people like you, people should be often remembered these days what they forgot.

Futher I must say, I admire your free voice, I would like to bid you welcome in June on my website to discuss this and other subjects even further.

I might.

Mister X wrote:

P.S. Maybe you’ve noticed it, I ain’t English so forgive my grammar.

No worries.

Regards

__________________

Daniel Memenode signature

User offline. Last seen 10 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Joined: 2009-10-04
define FREEDOM

I started a site four years ago, based on this question definefreedom.com

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.